This seems like the most positive move for Zimbra since its founding.
In July of this year, 2013, Zimbra was sold to a relatively small, private collaborative software company called Telligent, by the public virtual operating system pioneer VMware. The background:
- Zimbra was founded in Silicon Valley back in 2003
- We started working with them to deliver the foundation for what became zMailCloud in 2005-2006
- The internet pioneer Yahoo! acquired Zimbra back in 2007
- VMware’s acquired Zimbra from Yahoo! at the beginning of 2010
The consensus at zMailCloud is Telligent seems like the best home for Zimbra yet.
Why? Primarily because of 1) demonstrated corporate commitment to the product, 2) complementary solutions, and perhaps most importantly, 3) the opportunity to promote and deliver on a compelling strategic Vision.
- Commitment: Telligent is renaming itself Zimbra. How’s that for commitment? They’ve also communication a commitment to continue open source fidelity.
- Complementary alignment: Telligent is an application-oriented company, with proven success developing software products for business collaboration.
- Strategic vision: leveraging their combined intellectual property, customers and team, Telligent/Zimbra leadership has the best opportunity yet to communicate a compelling future for Zimbra, and the organizations that depend on it for daily collaboration.
Looking forward to working with the new, combined Telligent/Zimbra team, as we deliver on our mission to help businesses grow from start-up through IPO by delivering the most convenient, personalized and affordable online collaboration experience for small and medium-sized business (SMB).